Monday, August 30, 2010

Settling in. Almost 6 weeks post op


Has it already been 6 weeks? Just last week I was still struggling to eat meals but now I can't stop eating! I've been able to open my mouth much wider, therego eating is sooo much easier. I think it's safe to say that I no longer need ensure. Thank goodness! I finally moved back in to my place. I was a little nervous about it at first because I haven't really liked being alone the past few weeks, but so far I'm doing okay.

I had a great weekend! I hit up Barton Springs on Saturday. And for those of you not from my parts imagine the coldest water you can. Barton Spring is super cold, like a pool of ice water! So refreshing to jump into on a really hot day and Texas has been seeing one hot day after another! On Sunday I went to the Hot Sauce Festival and of course I get there and realize that I still can't eat chips, and that is how everyone is trying the salsa. I had to spoon feed myself every salsa! Thank goodness I had a beer to help chase it down. My mouth was on fire. Then I started freaking out about getting some of the salsa stuck in my splint, wouldn't that be horrible! But thank goodness that didn't happen.

I still don't have my pup penny lane back but as soon as I get my splint out I told my parents she can move back in. I need to transition and acclimate myself to living on my own before I bring my dog back into the mix.

Tonight I cleaned. It felt good. The place had collected a lottt of dust since I've been gone. Also, I seem to have these tiny little ants all over my apt. Any recommendations for getting rid of them?

Okay, now jaw surgery stuff. I'm such a rambler. :) I get my splint off in a week and a half! wohoo. That means I will have had it in for 7 weeks. I wonder why some people have to wear theirs longer than others? This seems like such a silly question that I really should know the answer to, having just gone though this and all, but what is the splint doing exactly? I know it's kind of like the equivalent of a cast....but how do you know when you don't need it anymore?

The pill my doc prescribed me for clenching is not really working....I wake up in the morning and it takes me taking out my rubber bands to realize that I'm still clenching. Good news is, I don't really have any pain anymore, even from the clenching. I have discomfort from time to time. And I do feel puffy in the morning, but not much I can do about that. My doc said I can start sleeping however I want which is great, but I have noticed a slight increase in swelling.

Anyone else still sleeping propped up? How long did your doc tell you to keep it up?

I am still so WOW with my new profile. I am looking forward to when the splint comes out so I can really start working on putting my lips together. Getting all the surgical hooks and heavy wire will help too I imagine. You know, I've had my hard days, my frustrating moments, but one look at my profile and it's weird. I have to stop myself....did I really do this? It all just seems like it happened so fast and now here I am almost through the worst of it. Before I know it I'll be getting my braces off! heh well I can only hope.

Well I'm starting to feel sleepy so that's all for now. If I don't get the chance to post again, I hope everyone has a relaxing Labor Day Weekend.

xoxo



2 comments:

  1. The progress is looking great Sarah! Just think, not long ago you were in my position (pre-surgery). Soon, the surgery and recovery will be a distant memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah!
    Great news on the splint, and your profile is goreous! The weather up here in Washington state today is very cold...at noon we were only in the high 50's so I can't imagine jumping into cold water.. I am glad to hear that things are going better for you! Thanks for the great post!
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete